Thursday, March 26, 2009

Linda Morgan's Dolls and Mini Interview

You know I'm always on the look-out for creative projects using Antique German Doll Parts like the ones I carry in my store. These beauties below were created by the talented Linda Morgan of Purple Cat Creates. Her dolls are incredible, and I thought it might be fun to ask Linda a few questions. Scroll down to see what Linda had to say - on your way check out these sweeties.

Me: How long have you been creating mixed media art?
Linda: I've been creating mixed media art for about 2 years. I've been making dolls using alphabet blocks for bodies and antique doll parts for about 4 months. Being German, I love the story of the old, throw away doll parts being dug out of the ground from demolished doll factories in Germany. I love the rust, dirt and imperfections found on the doll parts. I find it amazing that dirt from Germany is still inside the heads, arms, and legs.

Me: What inspires you when creating a specific doll?
Seeing the personality of each doll emerge intrigues me. A bit of lace and some ribbon usually start the creative process. I start with clothes and pick the perfect head, arms and legs. Sometimes the head inspires me to design the perfect outfit. I have also been inspired by a great set of legs with bows painted on them and fashioned the doll around the legs. Sometimes I have a person in mind when I make a doll. I used my husband's broken watch to make him a doll. I have a neighbor who is a breast cancer survivor and I made a doll that has a pink ribbon pin with her in mind. Most of the time it's just a surprise to see the doll emerge from all the parts. Since the necks the the dolls are broken, I make them necks with polymer clay. By the time the doll is complete I have spent quite few hours with each doll. The best part of creating art for me is having people tell me why they connect with a certain doll. When someone picks up a doll and says, "Mine, this one is going home with me." it's a wonderful feeling sharing my art and myself with others.

Me: Thanks so much Linda for sharing!

Now, if you would like to get your hands on some German Bisque doll heads of your own, you can get them HERE!

2 comments:

  1. nice interview. I make assemblage dolls using German doll parts too- so I am always interested in seeing what others do with the doll parts- i just love the German doll parts!

    eBeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I just love these dolls and the Easter cards are beautiful too....It must be so mcuh fun to see what people create with your "stuff!"

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!